Nov. 15 – Dec. 15, 2023: Submission window
*SUBMISSION WINDOW EXTENDED UNTIL DECEMBER 18!*
March 3, 2024: Final Shine On performance at Benilde-St. Margaret
- The competition is open to students in grades four to eight attending a PreK- eighth grade Catholic school in Minnesota. Finalists living further than 100 miles from the event will receive complimentary lodging and a travel stipend. Please note: First-place winners of previous Shine On competitions are not eligible to compete.
- Parents/guardians must assist the student in the registration process and will be asked to sign a media release.
- Participation from each school is unlimited.
- Performing talent categories are: vocal, instrumental, dance, acting, skits, novelty acts and dramatic reading.
- An act may consist of a solo performer, duet or group performance.
- The audition time limit is three (3) minutes. If a song/selection is longer than three minutes, it is the responsibility of the performer to trim the piece to fit into the required time frame.
- Up to 20 acts will be selected for the final performance on March 12, 2024. These acts will showcase a variety of performing arts categories.
- All acts selected for the final showcase will receive one or two coaching sessions from the Lundstrum Performing Arts team during January and February (see draft schedule here). Some students may be asked to come to an in-person (or virtual live) callback audition on Dec. 16 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Finalists will also be highly encouraged to participate in rehearsals for the ensemble performance numbers that will be included in the March 3 performance. All finalists must be available for an all-day dress rehearsal on Saturday, March 2.
- Regardless of finalist status, up to 80 students will be invited to participate in the ensemble numbers for the March 3 final performance. Entries can opt to participate ONLY in the ensemble numbers if they choose.
Judges will use the following criteria for the auditions and final performance:
- Technique: skill and execution
- Stage Presence: charisma, showmanship, style, connection to material
- Musicality: phrasing, pitch, rhythm, artistic expression
- Preparation: accuracy, memorization, staging, detail
- Level of difficulty
- Audition videos must be submitted within the timeframe of Nov. 15 -Dec. 15, 2023. Click the Registration link at the top of this page to access the submission portal.
- Submissions are being accepted in the following categories: vocal, instrumental, dance and dramatic reading. Solos, duets and group submissions are acceptable. Please submit only one registration per duet or group.
- Choose your piece carefully. Think of appropriateness for your age and talent range. Ask your teacher for direction and coaching on what might work best for you. Audition videos should be no longer than three minutes! Longer videos may be rejected.
- Technology – The submissions portal will accept mov., mp4, avi, mpg, Vimeo and YouTube. When recording your audition, look for good sound and lighting. We want to see and hear YOU! Most smartphones record acceptable video. Consider using a microphone and have someone else hold the camera for the best sound and visual.
- Forms – The submission portal will ask you a series of questions and include a media release form that parents need to agree to on behalf of their child. The submissions become the property of CSCOE and Lundstrum Performing Arts and used for promotional use. Personal information will not be shared publicly and will only be used for contact information by administration. Judges reviewing the audition videos will see only students’ first names and submission content.
- Callbacks – Some students may be requested to attend an in-person callback on Dec. 16 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Finalists – You will need to be available for at least two coaching dates. All entries are invited to perform in the ensemble numbers.
For questions about your audition content please contact Jane at Lundstrom – firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact CSCOE Event Manager Sharon Wilson:
email@example.com | 612-568-1221