Jan. 1-31, 2023: Submission window
March 12, 2023: Final Shine On showcase
- The CSCOE Shine On Visual Arts competition is open to students in grades four through eight attending Catholic elementary schools in Minnesota. Finalists living further than 75 miles from the Twin Cities will receive complimentary lodging and a travel stipend.
- Please note: First-place winners of previous Shine On competitions are not eligible to participate.
- Parents/guardians must assist the student in the registration process and will be asked to sign a media release.
- Participation from each school is unlimited.
- Works submitted must have been created within one year of the competition – March 12, 2023.
- 2D and 3D works are accepted.
- 2D work should be mounted on tag board and have some type of a hanging ring or hook on the back. Canvas paintings or anything similar does not need to be mounted on tag board but should have a hook or string on the back.
- Copyright law: Any artwork that depicts copyrighted images will not be accepted. This includes artwork depicting characters from television shows, movies, video games, or books.
- One entry per student. Only works by individuals will be accepted. No group projects are allowed.
- Finalists will be asked to deliver their entries to the CSCOE office in Edina by March 10 or to Visitation School on March 11 and attend the March 12 Shine On event. Winners will be announced and awards given during the showcase.
- The theme of this competition is open.
- We encourage students to create and submit art that is classical, biblical or contemporary, and shows creativity and individual expression.
- Pieces that depict violence, gore, adult themes or weapons (unless it is a biblical reference) will not be accepted.
Media and technique requirements
Any of the following media or techniques may be used:
- Paint (watercolor, tempera, poster, acrylic, etc.)
- Drawing materials (pencil, charcoal, colored chalk, pastels, oil pastels, colored pencils, markers, etc.)
- Collage materials (cut and glued papers, such as construction paper, tissue paper, wrapping paper, aluminum foil, etc.)
- Prints (handmade stencils, gadget printing, collagraphs, block prints, etc.)
- Sculpting materials (clay, papier-mâché, etc.)
- Original digital illustration
Judging and winners
- A panel of judges will review entries by grade level, based on technical skill, originality and creativity.
- Finalists will be selected from each grade level for inclusion in the March 12, 2023, Shine On showcase.
- One Best-in-Show winner will be named out of the grade-level finalists.
- Finalist artwork will be featured on the CSCOE website and in future CSCOE publications.
Submission and selection
- All participants must submit digital copies of entries by January 31, 2023 using the registration link at the top of this page.
- Once accepted, finalists will be contacted with instructions for delivery of artwork on March 11 in preparation for the final show.
- Artwork will be on display during the day of the Shine On Performing Arts and Visual Arts Showcase. Winners will be announced that day during the Shine On! Showcase of Talent.
- Artwork will need to be picked up by the student or teacher at the end of the showcase on March 12.